Thursday, December 01, 2005

Police ask mom to trade car for daughter

A Toledo TV station has reported that a local woman says her car was being held hostage in Adrian.
The trouble started when the woman's daughter borrowed the car. She was supposed to keep it in the Toledo area. But the next thing the owner knew, the vehicle was found abandoned in a Michigan field.
The police would not give it back, calling the car evidence.
"My daughter needed to go for a job interview. She asked if she could borrow my car," said Bernadette Michaux.
She said yes, thinking nothing of it, but police later found the car in a field, across the state line in Lenawee County. The daughter apparently got it stuck, and took off before help arrived.
That's because there's an old Michigan warrant in the daughter's name.
Police gave her mom an ultimatum.
"Until she turned herself in, or I got her turned in, I could not have my car back," Michaux said.
The Grand Am was impounded at an Adrian tow lot. Michaux's 23-year-old daughter has been staying away from home, afraid she'll be in trouble. But police say no daughter, no car, making it tough for her mom to even get to work.
"I don't think it's fair at all. I don't think my car should have been taken. I did nothing wrong," Michaux said."
The mother's been without car since last Friday. That, in and of itself, is a burden to a lot of people," said sergeant Bob Sinclair of the Michigan State Police.
After WTOL 11 contacted Sergeant Sinclair, he agreed Bernadette Michaux should not be punished for her daughter's mistakes.
"We will release the car to the owner at this point," he said.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Mr. X said...

I didn't see that in the newspaper. How strange!

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Police in Lenawee County are a strange bunch. Especially the State Police. Had one inform me that she did not enforce the law, that she 'Was The Law'.

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?